Skip to main content

Why I left the Classroom Part 1

As many of you have seen from my Instagram, I have started to work for VIPKid. For those wondering, yes, I did leave the brick and mortar classroom.  This was an extremely difficult decision, but a decision that needed to be made for the sake of my mental and physical health.

This post is a little about my decision to leave the classroom, and my new journey with VIPKid. 

I want to preface this post with a quick statement. This experience applies to me personally. My experience in the classroom should not be a universal reflection of teaching.This is my personal story- this is my experience in the classroom. And why, ultimately, I had to step away. 

I was a classroom teacher for 7 years, and while I am no longer in the classroom, there are still some memories that I cherish. Working with the children was never the problem. In fact, the kids are what kept me holding on for so long. Everything else that piles on as a teacher is what slowly decreased my health.

I taught at a school that specialized in individualized education. This means that a teacher is to teach the grade-level standards to the class in conjunction with providing individual lessons for each of her students. Some students may need intervention, extension, or both. This was the teacher's job to look at the data across the curriculum and provide for each individual child. The class sizes were small, so in theory, this would allow for a teacher to meet all of the expectations. 

While I thoroughly enjoyed the small classes, even having 10 students became too overwhelming for me to teach under this type of model. The needs and the disparity of levels of the students grew tremendously, and suddenly I found myself drowning. Once I would finish my basic homeroom lesson plans, I then had to begin planning for the individual child. Of course, I could never get it done within my prep. So usually, this work would come home with me at night, and then I could finish it by Saturday. I was a pro at utilizing my prep time and any moments I had before or after school to get things done. But I always found myself thinking about what else could/needed to be done. Keep in mind this was on top of the already completed grade-level lesson plans, individualized homework, reading, and math activities. 

My train of thought was: "What can I let go of that won't make my teaching day harder? If you just do the one more modification or accommodation, it is going to make your overall week better. If you don't do _______, then this student will struggle, which will snowball into ________, then you will have to reteach anyways." The thoughts go on and on. I could not quiet them, nor just leave work at work. 

As some of you may know, teachers have to keep data. We have to demonstrate that our students are growing (rightly so). We have to communicate to parents daily or weekly. We are on committees. We are constantly growing and trying to learn more ways to keep up student engagement (usually on our own time and dime).  We are planning fun and engaging lessons and/or activities (usually on our own dime). 

All of these responsibilities that I once loved, suddenly were becoming burdensome. A big big burden. Ultimately, it lead to negative affects on my mental and physical health. 

I was truly unhappy. My mood was absolutely horrible (bless my husband for all he did during this time). I had to save all my emotional and physical energy for work. So there was no room for anyone else. At the time, I was unable to connect with my husband, friends, or family in a way that was truly authentic. If I wasn't working, all I wanted to do was be in front of the T.V. or asleep. I was easily agitated. I remember being in my kitchen one evening after I snapped at my husband over nothing-- literally, nothing. There was absolutely no reason for me to have used the tone that I did. I could tell I  hurt his feelings. This behavior had been going on for quite some time now. It was wearing on him. As he walked out the kitchen, I remember thinking, "Who are you becoming? This is not worth the unhappiness you feel, or to your home." 

The anxiety and stress I was putting my body under began to manifest itself physically. My body started doing things that it had never done before (and which I will not disclose--too personal). I knew that I needed to make a change. For the sake of my health, my self-care, and my family. After consulting my doctors and husband, it was decided that the healthiest thing to do would be to medically resign from my position as a teacher. 

I can't quite explain how difficult this decision was for me. How many times I told myself "that I could just tough it out" or "to suck it up." I felt defeated. I felt like a failure. I felt like I was letting my students down. With help from my supportive husband, close friends, and family, I realized that with the state of my health I was unable to be the teacher that my students deserved. It's that cheesy line: "you have to put your own face mask on first." Well, I wasn't; I was trying to service all of their needs first (not giving them 100% of me, but 150% of me). Realizing that I needed to step away for a while to recharge and heal felt like Daylight (and yes that is a Taylor Swift reference, and yes that song totally helped me through the rollercoaster of the medical resignation). 

This is all still relatively fresh. There are moments where I still feel like a failure or weak, because I had to leave. But when the logical side of me steps back in, I realize that this is what I needed right now in this season of my life. I taught my little heart out for 7 years. It needs a little bit of a break. So, I try to remember that feeling of daylight. In a way, I am rediscovering things about me. During my time as a teacher, there were many things outside of work that loss their joy. I'm stumbling upon the things that I once enjoyed in life. The small things. And, I'm learning new things about teaching (more to come on this in part 2)!

I want to restate that this is my personal experience with teaching. There are many individuals who strive and do very well in the classroom. But, I think it is also important for people to know that the teacher struggle is real! Even for the fabulous ones still in the classroom.

If you are a teacher feeling like you need to leave, THAT IS OK! It doesn't mean that you aren't a fantastic teacher. It doesn't mean that you aren't strong. It doesn't mean that you aren't brave. You are a fantastic teacher. You are strong. You are brave. It is ok to admit that teaching is hard for you. It is ok to step-away and recharge. Recharging and healing may look completely different for you than it was for me. Find what will heal you and help you become the best you.

Thank you so much for taking the time to head over to my blog, and read my story. I appreciate all the love and support. 

This post will continue in Part 2! I will discuss what I am up to now, VIPKid, and the joys that I have found in teaching and in life! 

Jezu Ufam Tobie



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Visual Steps for Mass

I work at a Catholic School. I know, you're wondering why that's relevant!? 💁Well, not only are we a Catholic School, but we are the ONLY Catholic School in the state of Georgia that has a certified special needs program.  It has been quite the journey! Our small class sizes and ability to give each student one-on-one time to meet their academic needs has truly benefited so many of our students. Children with Autism do extremely well in our school's program.  With that said, I noticed that some of our students with special needs were anxious at Mass. Most of them are not Catholic, so they have no perception of the time. They aren’t familiar enough with the steps to recognize what will happen next. I decided to make this  handy visual for students and teachers to use to help navigate through the Mass. It's very simple and easy to use! All you need is a laminator, laminating paper, and velcro! When you get to Mass, make sure all pictures are taken off. Th

Sacrament Task Cards

I LOVE task cards! They are a great way to review material. I love hiding them around my classroom for students to find. Student engagement ✔ I use task cards for math all the time, so I thought, why not start using them for religion too?! And that's exactly what I did! I created my first set of religion task cards for you all! These task cards are all about the sacraments. If you have already taught your students about the Seven Sacraments, these cards would be a great way to review and/or refresh them on the content. If you need a resource to teach the sacraments, I have one! In fact these task cards pair perfectly with my Sacrament Flip Book. Click the link to get more information on it. Sacrament Flip Book Back to my sacrament task cards! I have 3 versions of the task cards. There is volume 1, volume 2, and then of course I bundled them together so you could get both sets a small discount! Volume 1 Volume 1 includes 1-3 question on each sacrament, except Matrimo

Why Left the Classroom Part 2

Last week we left off with me sharing why I left the brick and mortar classroom. If you missed that post you can find a link for it here. This week, I will share with you how this change has positively impacted my health, and my VIPKid experience thus far. To start, the thing first I noticed after leaving was an immediate calmness that came over my body. I realized that I had been living at a high level of stress for quite some time, but I had just become so habituated to it that my body accepted it as normal. We all know that's no way to treat your body. Nor should it be accepted, if one has the means to change it. I found that I was no longer easily agitated, unusually stressed about grocery shopping (or other day to day chores), and the weekend didn't seem so small anymore. For the first month, I soaked up the solitude. I kept to my normal routine of waking up, working out, and prayers. I saved prayers for last, because for the first time in a long time my morning pra